Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A smile from the heart

We have all experienced, witnessed if not received a great smile at some point in our lives from someone…it is the kind of smile that radiates warmth, love and real honest appreciation …especially when you receive it for nothing except crossing the givers path to merit it.

This morning as I went for my run, I experienced one of those smiles. I have a couple of running routes and I kind of alternate them not on any formal arrangement but when I get out in the morning, I head one way or the other… sometimes I run the same route two or three days in a row…depending on how I feel (some routes are easier…less hills). Anyway, this morning, there were these two elderly women I saw on my way up the “hill” and they were coming from the opposite direction. The first thought that went through my mind was that I certainly will like to have a friend to call up about 6:30 am to say “it is time for our walk” when I am in my 60s and beyond.

It was obvious that this is something they do often. They were relaxed and purposeful in their movements (yes I could tell and see all these within the short period) because I had time looking at them as I was running up to them. However, they were on the other side of the road so I had no very close contact. This route is like a crescent…circular…so running around you can meet same people again and again and this was what happened.

I ran into two the two lovely ladies and this time on the same side of the road and one of them gave me a wave and I looked up and the smile I received was unexpected, unprecedented and straight from the heart. I was not only happy and returned the smile but it made a deep impression right away and it occurred to me that I cannot remember the last time if ever I have received such a great smile…. Mine must have screamed “thank you” thank you very much”…”you have made my day” actually it blessed my day. The effect of this smile stayed with me all day and I remember and visualize the elderly but fresh face filled with that smile and even now that I write I am still amazed as I did not know or rather have not experienced such profound effect from just a smile.

I am not saying that we should smile sheepishly at people (like those stale and frigid smiles on London underground) but a true smile from the heart can make a person’s day (it made mine) and help them on the life’s journey (even if it is for a short while). Looking this woman, I also came to the conclusion that some people have this and they effortlessly offer it…it is a way of life. Now, you cannot give what you do not have and for such smiles to come from within…the heart must be at peace not necessarily without burden or care but at peace with who you are, at peace with where you are and at peace with where you are headed…

Give a smile today…

4 comments:

Unknown said...

U only get smiles like that in Africa. Here, other runners try their very best to avoid any form of contact talkless of eye contact. LOL!!

Azuka said...

True talk CG. I've gotten some genuine smiles here though.

Zoe Believer said...

Sometimes a smile speaks louder than words

Wings said...

I do not agree with you calabar gal... I happen to get this smile from a caucasian oyibo not even fake oyibo or latino...so it is not only in Africa...May I say...you should try giving it from whatever planet or continent that you may be in?? I think it is reciprocal...you will receive a heart warming smile back...