Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Naked Feeling of a Writer

Recently I realized what writers go through when they think they have finished a master piece as they call it and then they send it off to a total stranger. (You know I think of myself as a writer by the way). It is like writing an exam and waiting for marking and result. In my own case, I was terrified. I am terrified when someone reads anything I have written. When Ipointed some friends to this blog site, I feldt the same way (even though they all came back telling me how great the stuff here are...I know they are being nice) I sent a number of my articles to different newspapers and magazines and got no response which is not strange when you talk to people with 'experience'. It was even worse when I had to now contact some of the people I know to see if they could look at the pieces and offer comments- I felt totally 'naked'.

I got into the office one morning and plugged up my laptop and "viola!" there was an email from this 'experienced writer', I was so scared that I did not open the email for over an our. Finally, I summoned courage and opened it and it was not too bad. It is amazing how illuminating a second reader can be. He or she will read what you have written opposed to what you wanted to write. I have realized that even when I read over my pieces, I read them from my heart or my head but not from the paper or screen right in front of me.

Okay, today I am celebrating the publishing of one of my recent articles which is not only timely but has received wide praises and acclaim. Now I have readers out there waiting for the next ones and I am hihgly encouraged. Tell you what? I am off now to complete another piece which I have only written the topic for the past two days...if that is not a writers block, you tell me, what is it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He he he!! Writers block!! We all get a dose of it once in a while.

Anonymous said...

How many managers in most Nigerian companies have been through proper management and leadership development training that equips them with the skills to coach and mentor the people they lead in a work environment ?

How many managers evaluate themselves and own up to their deficiencies in leading effectively ? How many managers subject themselevs to peer reviews and actually seek feedback in order that they can improve or reskill where needed ?

How many managers of medium sized companies in Nigeria really see the value of investing in the softer skills that will transform Nigeria ?

How many managers value their HR function and see such functios as very important and strategic even after reading the popular Jack Welch book (Winning) ?

Then I wonder, how many HR functions know their real place in organisations and are willing to stand up for what they believe ?

How many realise that excellent technical skills do not necessarily translate into good leadership skills ?

I have many questions,i also know how much companies like Goldman Sachs, Shell and Accenture invest in developing the leadership capabilities of their managers and i think it is time other managers and business owners in Nigeria investigate why such companies do so.