Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Beating the Blues

Everyone knows the blues and when they hit. (Okay,not everyone, most women). Some people say that it is a natural occurrence with women at some point in their monthly cycle (I will not argue that). I know that I get it every once in a while and since it does not feel like every month, maybe that theory does not apply to me ...It does not mean it is wrong. During the blues I kind of feel sorry for myself but it is usually triggered off by something. Sometimes I am able to identify the 'culprit' sometimes I am not and I do not even think of what triggered it, I just concentrate on getting past the blues.

I was in that mood recently so off to the shops I went...for a "black shirt with a character". I really do not shop often but then the blues come (thank God it is not often), the shops have an amazing allure and buying has a way beating the blues. I stopped at the first shop that is likely to give me what I want (I am not sure about the price) so true to my expectation, they had something. I tried to justify it...it is not too plain, the sleeve is really beautiful...I will take it. So they packed it up for me and I started humming and singing down the stairs on my way back to my car. Now you must agree, I am really a disciplined shopper! I went to one store only in a mall (okay not a mall, a shopping complex more like it)and I was out afterwards. I got home, threw the stuff away at one corner but I am actually happy that I bought something and the blues got temporarily fixed.

Two days later, I picked up the shopping bag from where I dumped it (feeling good again) and I showed my sister who liked it (she likes every new piece of apparel or accessory), then I found out it was the wrong size. They gave me a size 1 instead of size 2(Before you start imagining me as a tiny winy being, these sizing is from another planet where size 1 is equal to US size 6 and British size 10). Come to think of it the designer of this brand must have had a brain wave and thought that since women love to describe themselves in the numerals under 10, he/she will design the clothes not to exceed size 6. Size 6 is the highest in this brand. So I decided that I will return the shirt for the right size.

Off again to this one shop but this time I took the 'wrong' road/route to the shop because I stopped briefly at another shop 'just to see'. When I got there I asked if they had any "Black shirt with a character". The store owner was there (another mistake) and she said "Oh a lot". That should have been an alarm bell in my ears but I smiled instead and like President Bush I mistakenly said "Bring them on!" I rejected most of them until one with big sash and very trendy style was shown to me and when I tried it on, I knew I must have it because it was meant for me - know one of those meant for me type fittings?. So they packed it up for me and again I was singing and humming all the way to the car. I realized that it was too late at this time to get to the other shop to return the other one because I had to go pick up my son from school and since it was the first day of school this session, I was not ready to start it off with a late pick up. I made a mental note to call the shop and explain that my driver will return the shirt.

I did not get to call the shop eventually and so off to the shop again the next day to return this shirt in the wrong size. When I got there, I was told that size 2 may not be available (and I rejoiced in my heart since I had bought one with a very strong character already)but they checked and lo and behold there was size 2. I quickly tried it on and then said to myself, "actually this one is more like a work shirt and the other one is a 'free lancer'so I will buy it". I had them pack it up for me. I wrote the check and left but this time, I was not singing and humming all the way to the car, I was looking at the gapping hole in my account made possible by the quest for a black shirt with a character which came as a result of the blues!!! Next time, I have sworn (no I did not literarily swear ..just a figure of speech)when the blues come, I will put a music tape and just sing along and jump and down until it goes away even if I have to it for hours or days. I am never going to go to any shop not even the bookshop which I pounce on sometimes when the blues come too!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmn... Got to your blog from your comment on Three Beautiful Things. Willpower eludes us sometimes when we see things we like. Check out my post on 'My Mulberry Bag'.