Thursday, September 14, 2006

Carrying our life's burden

Yesterday, a colleague sent me one of those stuff that we never know the source but forward around from one recipient to another. I assume that for it to have ended up in my box, the entire world has received it because I am not in that chain email thing. This one was titled “The ant and the contact lenses”. Of course there are loads of stories and fables involving ants and each has a moral lesson over the ages so seeing the ant in a story is not particularly strange but I would think contact lenses? ThatÂ’s a pretty new invention. Anyway, I read the story. I thought it was a pretty nice story about faith and believing that God is able to see us through difficult and seemingly hopeless situations but it was the cartoon that depicted the ant carrying the contact lenses and saying "Lord, I do not know why I am carrying this lead, it is not good for food and it is awfully heavy but if that is what you want me to do, I will do itÂthat caught my attention. Whoops!!!

So many times we have one load we are carrying or the other and sometimes just as we are off loading one, we are taking on another one. Some loads alias burden stay with us for life. As a young girl and even now in my moments when I forget how old I really am, I dare dream and want to look like one actress or model and I just think, if my waist line could just get smaller or my boobs bigger, I will just be the best thing walking the face of the earth and all my problems will be solved. No actually, I will not even have any problems and the dreams change with each illusion that I entertain. (Maybe this happens to just me but it does still happens. Please do not ask how old I am)

Anyway, back to my revelation about burdens, sometimes we imagine that some people we know “have no issues or real problems” and we wish to be in their shoes but the truth is everyone has one load which like the ant is not particularly good for food and awfully heavy but that is the way life is. Each time my own load is ‘killing me’, I cry out to God and He kind of makes light of it but I am always quick to remind Him that although it may seem light to Him, the load is crushing me.

Okay now, I have to stop Pappee wants to use the laptop..remember him? Told you there will lots of stories on this site about my very smart, wonderful 6 year old son. He says it is his turn to play some games on the lap top.

Recently, there has been a lot of focus on Autism (Time, CNN etc)and how it has been on the increase. However, each case shows parents who are doing everything and will do everything to get help for their children. They have also accepted that they willhave to "carry" this burden for as long as they live. It may not be autism in your case, it may be parent with alzheimer, or the loss of a loved one but we sure do have one "load" or another we carry on the life journey. Some may seem lighter or easier to us when we compare them but like the ant they are really awfully heavy for the people carrying them.

No comments: