Thursday, September 21, 2006

Is there any good in a Tragedy?

Tragedy is not a good thing no matter where you stand. However, like my old boss used to say, there are good things even in sad stories and if I may add even in tragedy. Three and half years ago, the world woke up to one big tragedy, made bigger even because of the power of technology and everyone saw the Columbia shuttle shatter in the air upon entering the earth killing the seven astronauts on board and all of a sudden we all became “Space Watchers”. I am sure space watchers mean something else but I am not keen on researching what it means, for me it means that we suddenly now pay attention to news on TV and network cables when NASA is launching a shuttle and we all now monitor the developments of the shuttles. It is even worse now that there are “space trips” for tourists like me (when I have made my half a billion US dollars, I am heading the space that’s for sure!)

Unbelievably, I find myself following the recent trip by the Atlantis shuttle to the space to continue the building of the space station for 11 days. Now you must believe, I even know that is a difference between astronauts and cosmonauts. Before I became an avid ‘space watcher’ I had no clue. I thought everyone in space is an astronaut. I even know now that earth is very hot and that the shuttle temperature reversal assimilation system must be intact without any foam falling out if things are to go well considerably. (I have no doubt that NASA will be impressed my definition above of the much talked about thermal system). I also know that the shuttle at lunch requires 3 million gallons of fuel (that is some energy).

Two days ago when NASA said something was floating about in the orbit where the shuttle is, I got a bit scared and even though I have been praying for this particular shuttle like I have prayed for the other ones since Columbia, I prayed harder. The whole of yesterday (intermittently) I was checking development in the search for the UFO around the shuttle and was happy to see that the shuttle had been given the thumbs up to land. This morning, I have been glued in front of my laptop monitoring the NASA sight (I have also done some work) but I could not help but rejoice when the big thing thundered down at the Kennedy Space Center amidst joys, cheers and high-fives.

Looking at the “ground crew” which is all of NASA staff and space watchers like me (who are providing prayers in addition), I see how much that tragedy of 2003 has brought us to appreciate the enormity of activities of the space missions and the weight on NASA as an organization. I am also most impressed by the astronauts who despite the imminent danger of their mission are committed to it. I know that there are tons of professions out there (the military, the pilots etc) that have high level of risks but today, I am saluting all astronauts (living and dead) and budding astronauts. I am also giving the kudos to the space watchers out there. Let us continue to pray for all these people. It is not so much for these people only but for their families who are teams with them.

Although the world now watch NASA activities with interest, it is indeed brought about by a tragedy that we all saw in our own very living rooms and today there are a lot of people working with NASA (unknown to NASA for sure) to ensure that space missions are successful especially with no further loss of life and these are the “space watchers”. Now that I am writing, I think I will launch a website for space watchers to air their views and chat with other space watchers and this will be the birth of the global “Space Watchers Club”… we may even get to say something about space missions at the UN assembly in the next couple of years.

No comments: