Saturday, September 16, 2006

Discipline or 25 hrs day?

School only resumed yesterday and I am already late posting a blog? What a shame I told myself. No one will believe when I remembered that I wrote nothing on my page yesterday... when I was almost falling asleep on my bed at night. I was very sure when I started on this blogging that I will write everyday and that decision was good for two days only. No more promises!!!

School resumed so what ? Well, I went to "Welcome everybody" which happens only at the beginning of a new session and it was hooo haaa!! " How was your summer holidays?", "Did you have fun?" What did you do? Where did you go? Oh my God! It was an earful. It got me thinking. To start with, we do not have a season in Nigeria that is called "summer". We have only rainy and dry season and this holiday in the 'old days' - my days going to school was called 'long vacation'. Beats me how these things change. Now to the question of where did you go? Do kids have to go somewhere other than where they live? No wonder my son was saying when school closed "Mummy, are we going to London or America? I honestly said "None of the above". For some reason, he has made a number of trips to both locations during some holidays and some not during the holidays because before he started proper structured grade school learning, I used to whisk him off on my trips. So I guess it has been taken for granted that he would go or we would go somewhere during every holidays. He actually mentioned the kids in class who were going to London, America and to the moon literarily.

I was honest enough to say that I do not think that we have any plans for "summer holidays" and that we (daddy and myself) are working all through this summer holidays and if he is lucky, he will visit his grand-parents in the East. He was not happy with this. He said, he will like to visit with his grand parents when he comes back from either London or America and so summer holidays began. Now it is over, I will wait to hear the stories from his friends and what he will have to say.

I was talking of writing my page everyday before I digressed to the new generation Nigerians who will import the weather seasons just like we import everything else (culture, belief, values and accents). Woe betide you if you speak with any indegenous accent, everyone will turn and look at you as if you suddenly dropped from the ancient days...sometimes the 'victim' is not even aware and so the ostrasization begins for that unfortunate person (what a world we live in). The list for a person's definition is getting longer, I tell you. I am still digressing from the topic for today and at this rate, I doubt that I will even end up writing about whether my problem is discipline or truly what I need is 25 hours a day.

So I headed to work right after the hoohaa that I mentioned earlier and my colleagues were suprised to see me with full make up on my face. One actually said, "woah!I like your make up" and I said, "thanks, I am just coming from my son's school". She looked lost for a tiny winy bit because she could not make the connection between my make up and going to my son's school. She asked if I needed to wear make up to go there (only she really did not voice the questions)so I quickly told her that I did not want to look out of place. I proceeded to explain how people come to parents seminars and Parents/Teacher meetings looking like we are called for "Paris fashion show". I said that my son is getting older and I do not want him to start noticing that his mum looks rather different from the others...at least since I will not wear the couture fashion to school meetings...I will at least have some make up. Again, I have digressed!!!

Once back to the office, I had my weekly reports to complete and had other meetings that ran into other meetings and it was Friday...you know how it is on Friday evenings. I had not even completed my tasks for that day when the office was thinning out. I thought, well, I came in late, gotta put in some more hours and then I had to head home. Guess I can be pardoned since it is my first Friday blogging and it was not in my calendar ...my life is totally ran out of calendar - Monday to Friday, now I do not know whether that is good or bad!!

No comments: