Friday, December 08, 2006

Making a Difference

Yesterday I went for one of those thought provoking, soul searching events. An NGO focused on “wealth creation by promoting business and entrepreneurial development among Nigerians” had their annual celebrations Entrepreneurial Awards and yours truly had volunteered as a resource person and facilitator for the foundation’s programs…you know bringing my expertise and passion to the budding entrepreneurs…you will hear more about this mission in the coming year.

There were two speakers…brevity and punctuality were well displayed by all attendants and speakers. However, each speaker left me dumb and numb. As I listened to the speakers, each an entrepreneur of good repute and successful professionals…I was awe struck and even when people will clap…my hands could not move…actually no part of my body could move…they held me spell bound to the point of feeling like my hands were tied…if you have never experienced this…it will be hard to explain…the eloquency, the courageous steps they have taken, the risks and the focused vision that kept them on their track were worthy of emulation.

If you were there (of course you were not), you’d leave asking yourself what difference can I make? I was challenged! I was humbled!!

We seem to think that success in so many ways especially in this part of the world where wealth and money seem to be the ultimate measure…it was motivating, inspiring and sheer ecstasy to think and to see that there are still visionaries who think beyond themselves and move on to build a legacy and all in their ‘youth’. They embark on missions that do not enrich their bank accounts but enrich their souls and the lives of others in the society…some of these are very noble endeavors indeed but they have results to show for it.

The recipients of the awards talked of their challenges but more than anything their resolve and holding on to their dreams. One thing running through all of them was doing things ethically and with the right values.

I often ask myself, ‘why am I here?’ What gifts do I have to enrich my life and the life of the people around me and the society as a whole? We all have a purpose in this life no matter what you believe in and as the new year approaches, maybe it is time to reflect and ask yourself…”what contribution can I make to add value and leave something for the generations coming behind?”

Think about it!!

No comments: