Tuesday, December 19, 2006

What would make you consider suicide?

If you have never considered, planned, or even deeply thought about suicide, you are blessed. Millions of people are ‘suicidal’…all for pains they could not endure, depression, abuse, guilt, failed relationship, dashed hopes and expectations…all sorts.

Sometimes, we think we have gone too far to make a come back. Sometimes, we think there is no hope for us, sometimes we think that all and everyone has forsaken us, sometimes we give up at the last lap of the race. No matter what pains we have buried, secrets that we cannot share…death of a loved one or loved ones…pains and sorrows we cannot comprehend and least of all explain…always remember that God’s arms are outstretched and His love is unconditional and His mercies are new every morning and great is His faithfulness.

Here is a story I stumbled on today and I thought I’d share it. The strangest part is that while people are getting ready for Christmas…some are contemplating suicide…two very opposing happenings…celebration of a gift of life and taking away of another life…

As you get ready for the festive season, do not forget to stop and say a prayer for people in pain, hospital bed…your prayer could be just what will stop one suicide attempt. Our life is precious to God…or He would not have taken the time and effort to make us.

Here is Virginia's story
It was the morning of December 24, 1998 and everything was almost in order.
"Hi, my name is Virginia and I called this morning," I said. I was so ready for it all to be over. I had no idea what was about to happen.
"Hi, Virginia, my name is Cheryl," the funeral director replied. "I will be helping you today."
I had no idea at that time just how much she would be helping me. This attractive, little 40 something-year-old lady was about to take part in a miracle, my miracle.
"I want to take care of my final arrangements," I said. "My husband and parents have already been through so much," I said, holding back tears. "I want you to know how much I appreciate you coming in this morning. I am only in town for a short time and wanted to get this taken care of while I still can. I know you must have been busy getting ready for the holiday."
"It's no problem, Virginia. I am glad to be here for you," Cheryl sweetly replied.
For the next hour we went over my choices. I chose the pink one, nothing fancy, just your basic casket. Then the dreaded question came, "May I ask what your terminal illness is, Virginia?"
"Cancer," I immediately responded.
Now comes the part I still have a hard time grasping. If you were a funeral director and a lady walked in claiming to be terminally ill with cancer, could you look into her eyes and say, "I want you to know you aren't going to need this, but I will write it up for you if you wish?" Cheryl did.
I was in complete shock. After a few moments I said, "What do you mean I am not going to need this?"
Meanwhile, I thought to myself, I am dying, and this is what dying people do. The only difference is my disease is depression instead of cancer. Everything was set for me to kill myself. I had been planning and storing up pills for months.
Cheryl looked down for a brief moment as if to prepare herself for the statement she was about to make, "When the secretary called me at home this morning and said someone was coming in to make their final arrangements I knew it was not necessary for me to come in; one of the others here could have helped you. But as I went on preparing for the holiday, the Lord was speaking to my heart. He let me know that I was to tell you that Jesus loves you, Virginia. He isn't through with you yet. You are not going to need this right now, but if you want, I will write it up for you. And I want you to know that I will be praying for you every day."

3 comments:

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

Wow, this is so deep....I have never contemplated suicide but have sometimes wished I was never born...
I haven't been by here for a bit and I apologise.. Would drop in more often.. Merry christmas in advance!

Anonymous said...

That's deep...

God works in many ways...

Wings said...

Nyemoni...Azuka

A whole lot of people need help out there

I hope you guys had a very merry christmas.

Thanks for stopping by.